Monday, January 26, 2015

Take Control of Your Health

So.... It's flu season. This year I have been fortunate enough to work in the public schools. I love every minute of it. Even as a sub, I get the satisfaction of seeing the light bulb blink on when students understand things for the first time. And as a sub, I am blessed with the ability to touch more lives! However, I wish they could keep their germs to themselves.

How about a little back story. I know. Who really cares, right? Well, I'm hoping that my experiences will help others with some of the same problems. I have psoriasis. Not really health impeding at this point but truly miserable, disgusting, and embarrassing. I can't wear dark clothing because... Well, I won't be too graphic.

Last winter, I had had enough. I decided it was time to see a dermatologist seriously. Of course, I'd been before. They've suggested over the counter medications, shampoos, oils, steroid creams. You name it; I've tried it. I even asked about tanning. See, one of the causes of psoriasis is a vitamin D deficiency which your body makes with the absorption of UV rays. The doctor flew off the handle. The gist of it, I am entirely too susceptible to skin cancer to spend any time in a tanning bed.

After a lot of discussion, he prescribed Methotrexate. I figured, if I was able to step into a classroom without students asking me what's wrong with my head, the side effects were well worth the risks. For a few months, that was true. I even bough black shirts!

http://www.joyfuldrops.com/joyfulblog/
Somewhere along the line, it stopped being effective. Now, it's flu season. While I normally have a solid immune system from spending so much time with children, this year seems to be quite different. I have caught nearly every sneeze and sniffle that the students have. It appears that the side effects of the medication is catching up with me. And I don't know about you, but a cancer fighting medication should not list lymphoma as a side effect.


This is where I get to the point! I have been chosen to participate along with a group of bloggers to take what I'm dubbing The Joyful Drops Challenge. Starting early next week, I will blog through my experience. As the picture says, it's time to take control of your health and that's just what I plan to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment